Child Sponsorship

A few weeks ago, I bumped into a couple of young guys at the Skytrain Station. I was on my way downtown and they seemed harmless enough. Not sure how it started but we started chatting and the next thing you know, I'm getting a rundown on Plan Canada (formerly known as Foster Parents Plan). After a bit of conversation, they asked if I'd ever considered 'adopting' a child and to be honest, I had. My only concern with the specials I'd seen on TV was that they were usually affiliated with a religion and to be honest, I didn't like the idea of some of my hard earned money going towards spreading a belief I myself don't stand behind.

It was a good day, I was feeling generous and I signed myself up. A week ago, I received my introductory package in the mail along with the first pictures of Fatou Diop, a two year old little girl from Senegal whom hubby and I will help put through school. My paltry $35 a month help provide her with vaccination and medicine, food, clean water, school (when she's old enough for it) and clothing. $35 a month is just slightly more than what I pay for my monthly Zip membership. Not a whole lot of money to help save a little girl's life.

I've shared her story with my mom who is very excited about sponsoring her own child. I can't believe the amazingly rewarding feeling I got from two little pictures and the knowledge that I was making an impact on a little child halfway around the world.

From here on in, you'll probably have semi-regular updates on Fatou so you may as well meet her:


I know. She's ADORABLE!

I've also uploaded a photo of Fatou and her mom which you can see here.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did a program like this in college for a while and enjoyed it, but the religion thing bothered me too. I haven't yet found an organization that I would trust to do it -- I might check yours out if you're satisfied with them.

March 11, 2008 7:14 a.m.

Unknown said...

I realize that my decision was really "spur of the moment" but I had 3 weeks to think about it and research it and nothing of what I've found even suggests that they're teaching any religious studies of any sort to the children. At this point, it's early going but I'm looking to stick with it for at least a year and see how things go.

March 11, 2008 9:33 a.m.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails