Eurovision '08 - Portugal Represents!

If you're not European, you've likely never heard of Eurovision but as of now, consider yourself partially informed. For me, this year's contest snuk up on me because, for some reason, there simply wasn't the same amount of buzz as there usually is.

Most folks will tell you that the for the past years, the contest has been more of a political back-scratching exercise than any real measure of talent and this year's contest is no different though I will admit that the back-scratching wasn't quite as obvious as it has been in the past. I've heard a few folks comment that there are talks that if this sort of political play continues, the voting structure of the competition will have to be changed but I simply don't know enough about the inner-workings to comment - I just watch for the music.

For the first time in what seems like year's, Portugal's entry was very good. So good, in fact, that it made it's way through to the finals. We may not have won, that honor went to Russian singer Dima Bilan, but we did kick some serious ass. Congrats to VĂ¢nia Fernandes for representing the country in great style with "Senhora do Mar".


At this point I'd also like to mention my disappointment at the fact that so many of the countries chose to present songs in English. I find it so much more interesting and entertaining when singers sing the music in their mother tongue. To each their own but I hope this changes over the next few years (doubtful).

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails