Hidden Genius?

For some time now I've been on the fence about Lady Gaga. At first she seemed an interesting character, a passing fad on the brink of becoming old before ever really taking off but a whack of hit singles later, she's hard to miss. She's in your face, unapologetic and a force to be reckoned with and though she's no Madonna (yet), she's on the brink of being the Material Girl's unofficial protégé (she's doing a better job of Britney what's her face).

The more I see of this girl the more I think she's a brighter cookie than anyone could ever have guessed. This image she's created has been years in the making and her constant WTF outfits are only the surface - she reminds me of a strange mix of Marilyn Manson and Madonna. How messed up is that?

I read a recent edition of The Hater which spurred me on to track down the video for "Telephone" co-written and directed by Jonas Åkerlund (best known for his films "Spun" and "Horsemen") and it is a work of shocking proportions bordering on genius. I haven't quite made up my mind how I feel about it but it's definitely worthy of consideration as one of the most subversive music videos ever made.


Thoughts?

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails