The Hockey Post



I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the biggest hockey fan but I do get just as excited as the next person when the home team wins a big one and wow, did they ever win a big one yesterday!

So I was talking with a friend after the game and he says to me "I'm not sure what everyone's so worked up about, the Canucks are going all the way" and I'm like "How can you be so sure?" His answer was quite simple really: destiny. This is from an email I was sent which explains how the whole thing works:

So, the Vancouver Canucks' fortunes go like this: every 12 seasons,
they make it to the Stanley Cup Final.

The Canucks entered the NHL in the expansion of 1970. In 1982 (12 years later), they made it to the Stanley Cup Final, where they were swept by the New York Islanders (4 games). In 1994 (another 12 years later), they made it to the Final again, where they lost to the New York Rangers in 7 games.

Now the next time they were supposed to go to the final was 2006 (another 12 years later; last year)--but they didn't even make it to the playoffs. But!--2004-2005 was a lockout year. So 2007 makes it 12 *seasons* later, and the prediction, which for the longest time (well, since 1994 at least) was stated as "every 12 years" can be refined to "every 12 seasons".

It's been 12 seasons since the Canucks last went to the Stanley Cup Final, so it's their time again this year: they're destined to at least win the first 3 series and become the Western Conference Champion. So why was everyone worried about this first-round series and about Game 7 for? *Obviously* they were going to win the series. It's destiny.

I think he might be on to something...

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard that 12 year thing, too! It's been said that GM Place has bad feng shui so that works against the Canucks.

I'm thrilled we won last night, though! I was expecting the worst and hoping for the best. I'm a fan, but definitely not a hardcore one.

April 24, 2007 10:50 a.m.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails