New Addiction

And to think this all started as an error.

I blame it all on UK blogger buddy Ramchandra, who accidentally watched "Moonlight" thinking it had something to do with Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight". There were an amusing group of Tweets surrounding the confusion but it all ended with a hearty recommendation. Since CBS/Warner have yet to release the show on DVD, I had to find other ways of tracking it down but after a little searching, into my possession came the first 12 (which means there are still 3 episodes kicking around out there that I haven't seen - MUST find).

The show stars Australian looker Alex O'Loughlin as PI Mick St. John (who also happens to be a Vampire), Sophia Myles (the human love interest), Shannyn Sossamon (the vampire ex-wife - if vampires can have ex-wives) and Jason Dohring (as Mick's best friend).

The pilot for the show is not particularly good. The acting is a bit off, there's little chemistry between the characters, the dialogue is stilted and generally uninspired. It's not surprising that critics ripped it to pieces and even more surprising that CBS kept the show on the air after the critical reception but numbers speak stronger than critics and the show was viewed by a load of people which likely saved it from an early demise. For me, it was a matter of the DVD player skipping to the second episode right at the end of the first.

The second episode was a little better but it was the third that really sucked me in. I spent Saturday and Sunday watching nothing other than the show, even going back and catching up with an episode my DVD player didn't like. The big seller: O'Loughlin and Myles have great chemistry and the banter between the two when the show finds its footing is excellent. I'll admit, it also helps that O'Loughlin is very, very handsome.


Now that I'm done, I'm a bit disappointed. CBS has canceled the show and Warner hasn't found anyone else to take up the reins. Too bad, I was just getting into it too. Lucky for me, I still have a few more to watch. Guess what I'll be doing over the next day or so?

In the meantime, it's worth noting that O'Loughlin isn't new to me. I saw him in Feed a few years back, a film that really rubbed me the wrong way, and he's starring in the upcoming Whiteout with Kate Beckinsale.

And I leave you with this, it opens the pilot and makes for a great introduction to the character:


 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails