quarterlife Gets the Boot - After One Episode


Pardon the language but this fucking sucks.

I watched quarterlife last night, the internet-turned-tv show from the creators of "thirtysomething" and "My So-Called-Life". I'd been to the website before but had failed to check the show out and when I noticed it was on last night, I got cozy and relaxed and started to enjoy the greatness.

Basically, it follows a group of 6 twenty-somethings trying to glimpse some meaning into their lives. In the tradition of its predecessors, the writing, situations and characters are realistic and, as per tradition, it's not widely accepted by the television viewing public hungry for reality tv and over-the-top melodrama.

It's quite sad. Here we have another great show which is likely to kick-the-bucket thanks to viewers not tuning in. I expect that if it does, indeed, get canceled, it will find legs down the road much like "My So-Called-Life". Still, I can't help but feel robbed. I don't watch a lot of television as it is and the one show I'm interested in is being yanked.

More than that, it goes to show that the viewing public hasn't changed much. During an early episode of ATC, Dale, Colleen and I discussed that perhaps MSCL would have found footing with today's viewership but here we have a show similar in tone and style and it's still a loss in the ratings. Reminds me of the old adage: "The more things change, the more they stay the same".

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You liked this piece of shit? Seriously? This doesn't bear comparisons to My So-Called Life, Freaks and Geeks or whatever else you could mention.

I mean, Friday Night Lights -- now that's an undersupported work of genius.

February 27, 2008 7:06 p.m.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I do like "this piece of shit" and I think it does bear more than it's share of comparisons to MSCL - from the lead character to the monologuing. I haven't seen FNL but I did love the film - just haven't found the time to catchup with the show.

February 28, 2008 10:19 a.m.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails