Selling Loads of Books

I read something yesterday which really surprised me. I knew that Stephenie Meyer's closing to the so-called "Twilight Saga" would be a big seller but I'm not sure anyone expected it to sell quite this well. In fact, there were so many pre-orders that the publisher printed a second run of 500,000 books before the launch on Saturday. What really blew my mind were some numbers I read over at Scifi Wire regarding the sales of this in comparison to the last Harry Potter. According to the numbers, "Breaking Dawn" sold 1.3 million copies in the 24 hour period after it's release at 12:01 on Saturday morning. Loads right? Peanuts in com parison to Rowling's megaton bomb "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" which sold 8.3 million copies in its first 24 hours in the United States alone. Holy mother. That's a truckload of books. Rowling is the Spielberg of the book world. I haven't looked at the numbers but I'm willing to guess that the only other book to even rival Rowling's domination is the Bible.

My search for the book was a bit of a disaster. I started off on Saturday morning at Costco who had all of the other books in the series (I nearly re-bought them all - I'll have to do that next weekend) but not the new one. Wal-Mart didn't have them either. I spent the afternoon out and about so I didn't have a chance to stop anywhere else. I knew I was in trouble when I spotted a little girl of about 14, at Ridgestock holding the book. I made a bit of a scene with hubby, more as a joke than anything else.

I did manage to finally lay my hands on the book on Sunday morning when Cuz and I met hubby out at the car show in Coquitlam. There was a Chapters accross the street with an entire wall of books so I managed to pick-up my copy. I've been trying very hard to be reasonable about the reading schedule so I haven't been staying up late or anything but I have been overlooking things like DVD's and podcasts. I'll get to that at some point next week.

In the meantime, I have some thoughts about the book so far. There will be some ****MAJOR**** spoilers after the picture so if you plan on reading the book, you may want to skip the rest of this.

 
So I'm a little over 200 pages in and the following has all happened:
  • Bella and Edward are married
  • Bella and Edward have had sex (this is where the imagination comes into play since Meyer gives you very little - she's good that way)
  • Bella is pregnant
  • Bella is dying
  • Jacob has left the pack
Ummmmm, where the heck is she going with this?!?! I'm not confused but I'm anxious to find out what happens next. *sigh* it's a few hours before lunch which means a few hours before I get back to it.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails