Twilight Response: A Rant

There are few people I hate but once in a while, folks do something that angers or rubs me the wrong way and such is the case here. So no, I don’t really hate this person but I do have some strong feelings that will come out below. Take a breath. Here we go.

In response to Josh Tyler’s recent article over at Cinemablend titled “Twilight Rant: They've Got It All Wrong”, I have a few words of rebuttal. My first thought was two words for you Mr. Tyler: Fuck You. But that’s a bit strong and after sitting with this at lunch, I’m a little calmer.

It’s a well written piece and accurate to a point. What rubs me the wrong way is the second to last paragraph which reads:

Not just any women; squishy, gooey, girly types who still swoon a little whenever they see book covers featuring Fabio. This movie’s audience is the Patrick Dempsey fangirl, the comfortable bodied, wine-drinking ladies who made Grey’s Anatomy a hit. They’re the love obsessed women who bought tickets to Made of Honor, and then went home to wonder why their relationships never seem to work out like the ones they see in the movies. They’re the women who believe men are secretly, well, women… and are dead wrong. Many of these women are teens, whom Summit has done a good job of courting, but most of them are just lonely, besotted, and blighted by society’s unrealistic view of romance.

I can get on board with some of the idea, of how women, and I’d venture to say men as well, are unsatisfied with the view of relationships in movies, but to rack up all of the “Twilight” fans into “squishy, gooey, girly types who still swoon a little whenever they see book covers featuring Fabio” and “the Patrick Dempsey fangirl, the comfortable bodied, wine-drinking ladies who made Grey’s Anatomy a hit” is not simply wrong, it’s down right, to me at least, insulting. I’ve never in my life read a novel with Fabio on the cover, nor do I like Patrick Dempsey and “Grey’s Anatomy”? That show is pure dribble. To assume that all fans of the book are shallow, needy women hit a nerve, not to mention that it’s down right condescending.

What bothers me most about this entire thing is that for the first time in what seems like a long time, we have a film that has a fantastical element targeted very specifically at teen girls yet folks seem determined to dole out the hate. Where were these articles when A Cinderella Story or Step Up opened? It was OK for those films to be released and target their market but it’s not OK for this one? What gives? Am I missing some piece of the puzzle?

At this point, I’m ready to stop reading the majority of the reviews from men simply because they seem more determined to insult the film’s potential audience than to speak about the film itself. And I fully realize that this isn’t any sort of review but it’s mean spirited and something I don’t appreciate. I’ll be sure to go around insulting the fanboys when the next shitty comic book movie is adapted. Oh wait – I won’t do that because I have class.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails