Fat and Loving It

Something happened the other week at Spain's Fashion Week. The folks over there decided that they'd had enough of bones walking around with a bunch of fabric draped on them so, they announced that 'models' who didn't meet the normal height-to-weight index as outlined by the World Health Organization, they couldn't set foot on the runway. This made headlines everywhere. I'm not sure why. It's not like this is a problem that has been hiding under a rug for decades and we only noticed now. The fashion industry is everywhere. We look at models in ads for everything from perfume to hair colour and yet, this is the first time someone has stepped out and said "You know what? These girls look sick." Hello? What the fuck was going on that it took 30 years for the industry to notice???

I was reading this article (which I lifted from a fellow blogger) and looking at the pictures, I just wanted to cry. I would post them here but I've decided that I will NOT participate in the spreading of this insanity. These girls don't even look human. Some of the designers are saying that yeah, they may be responsible. I think someone should smack them across the back of the head. If you want your clothes to hang on a stick rather than a woman, why not drape and pin the fabric on a mannequin or, even better, on a hanger with no body inside? As far as I'm concerned, seeing the clothes on a woman who looks like a sack of bones appeals very little to me. I thought the idea was to have a female shape underneath to show you how the pants sit, how the seams fit, how the folds drape over a woman's body outlining and accentuating curves. The truth is, a very small amount of the population will ever look the way a model does in the clothes and now that these girls are essentially not there, I just don't see what the point is.

What gets me even more riled up is that they're concerned about saying that the girls are too skinny. WTF? Folks walk around all the time bitching at how fat people are but you can't say the same thing to someone who's too skinny? Talk about discrimination! This disgusts me. I hadn't realized HOW MUCH this actually bugged me until I read that article. Fashion has never been something I really bought into (except for Gaultier, Ford and Galliano who – I argue – create art) and at this rate, I doubt I ever will. Thanks to fashion and the media for creating a large population of females with distorted ideas of self image. Thanks very much. I hope you're ready to shell out the time and bucks to re-educate girls on what beauty REALLY is.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails